Singapore, also known as the Lion City is one of the popular tourist destination for Filipino. The city has a lot of tourist place to visit, interesting sightseeing and attractions. When we travel, we always consider the budget needed for our trip and Singapore always has […]
Month: August 2017
Singapore – my most visited country, with a record of 4 visits. This was my first out of the country experience way back 2010. We attended a supplier sponsored training for a laboratory equipment that we purchased. I was with my 3 other colleague that […]
After finishing my IndoChina Backpacking, I listed my quick guide for the three countries I visited.
Check out below⬇️⬇️⬇️
2. 🏬🕌Major cities to visit are Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Phuket
3. 🚊Chiang Mai and Phuket are accessible by land travels, overnight buses are available. Also, domestic flights are available (search flight in Skyscanner)
4. 🕍Don’t miss to visit these places in Bangkok – Royal Grand Palace, Wat Pho, Wat Traimit
5. 🛌🛌Accommodation varies from hostels to 5 star hotel. Price range from php500-1500 per night for 3 star hotel. You can grab best deal at Agoda.com
6. 🚆 You can go around Bangkok using MRT or Taxis. Most of the time, tuktuk are overpriced for tourist.
7. 💵Do not worry where to exchange your cash, money changer can easily be found like in Phuket. Airport rates are usually low, better change in the city proper.
8. 🚍 For Chiang Mai, places to see are outside the city and sometime public transport is not easy to book- this time I prefer convenience of booking group tours online (travel hub) or thru hostels.
9. 🏖🏝Island hopping tour operators are plenty in the street of Patong in Phuket – sometime if you’re lucky, you can haggle for their rates. Price range 1500-2500php
2. 🚍Overnight bus are available, most are reclined seat and some are totally flat for more comfortable sleep.
3. 💵US Dollar is widely acceptable
4. 🍻 Visit Pub Street – beers are super cheap.
5. 🚶🏼If you are solo traveler, Angkor wat tour with guides and transport will cost around php2000-2500, so if you can find other solo traveler you can split the cost.
6.🚲You can go around Siem Reap using tuk tuk, 1usd is the usual charge for tourist.
7. 🛌Accommodations are cheap – a good double/twin room will only cost php600-800. Solo traveler can take cheaper dorm type hostel
8.🕴🏼I recommended to have a guide, (or at least your driver have basic information about the complex) to better explore the complex.
9. ⛓ There are plenty shop of silver accessories, just be aware of what is fake and genuine.
10. 🌞2days is enough to visit Angkor Wat.
11. ⭕️ You can make a stop over in Phnom Penh if you are traveling to/from Saigon
1. 🚖Center of Saigon (District 1) is easily accessible by bus or taxi from the airport. Take bus 152 going to ben thanh market, will cost around 1usd. Taxi to D1 should not be more than 10usd
2.🚶🏼💒You can do a walking tour in District 1 to visit their famous landmarks – Notre Dame Cathedral, Post Office, City Hall. Google Map will be your bestfriend.
3. 💣Visit War Remnant Museum for only Php35
4. 👕👚👜For shopping North Face bags and other branded overruns, go to Saigon Square
5. 🍜🍲🍡Take a stroll in Ben Thanh night market to try Vietnamese cuisine and street food.
6. 🚎 You can do halfday or full day trip to Cu Chi Tunnel. Join Group tours are available in several tour operators along Pham Ngu Lao. 15-20usd per person for group tours.
By the way, you can start either from Thailand or Vietnam from Manila.
Good luck on preparation of your itinerary. Hope I was able to help. 😇
What is you basic travel accessory must have? As budget traveler, we usually stay in hostels and book budget airlines. But being on a budget should not ruin our vacation – not having enough sleep because of your snoring dormmates, excess luggage forced to be […]
After visiting the places within the city center of Ho Chi Minh, you can arrange a day trip outside the city to visit Cu Chi Tunnel. Several tour agencies are available along Pham Ngu Lao street (backpackers area) on the range of 10-20usd. You can […]
If you are in Phnom Penh, you can either go up to Siem Reap for temple run or head to Saigon for some shopping – bags, shoes, clothes. Both are accessible by bus.
One way ticket to Saigon from Phnom Penh is ranging from 10-18USD depending on the quality of your seat. Since travel time is around 6-7hrs, better to choose one with great comfort – Mekong Express, Giant Ibis are some of the bus companies operating in Phnom Penh with good bus facilities and reviews.
Once the border is reach, everyone should get off the bus and proceed to the immigration booth for Cambodia Exit stamp. Hop on the bus again for a short ride to Vietnam Immigration and Customs Building, this time, you need to take all your belongings with you for security check. For Philippines passport holder, we not required visa for entering Vietnam if we stay less than 21 days (showing tickets for exiting within 21 days). In case, stay more than 21 days, you should apply for a visa.
We arrived in HCM around lunch time. I booked our hotel thru Agoda.com, got a deal of Php600.00 per night for a twin room including breakfast. But depending on your preference, there are other more cheaper hostels that only cost around Php200 per night in a dorm type room.
Where to go and what to see in HCM
With the help of google maps, you can easily walk around downtown HCM and see some of their famous landmarks.
HCM City Hall
City hall is along Dong Khoi Street with lively stretch of shops and bars. Not too far from the city hall, you can walk to Notre Dame Cathedral
Beside the church is another French colonial architecture – Central Post Office
Another must see in Saigon is the War Remnants Museum. Entrance fee is only 15000dong or Php 30.00.
It houses a vast collection of Vietnam War artifacts such as photographs, guns, bullets and even military tank, fighter jets and see all the atrocities that happened throughout the Vietnam war.
My 9 days Thailand solo travel ended, but my travel continues, this time Siem Reap, Cambodia for another Temple Run. I booked a flight from Phuket to Siem Reap for Php 1600.00 Upon arrival in the airport, taxis and tuktuk are available just outside the […]
My Chiang Mai adventure has ended. Its time to experience the south of Thailand – Phuket, the last leg of my Thailand backpacking.
I booked a one way flight from Bangkok to Phuket via AirAsia for Php1600.00. From Phuket Int’l Airport, you can take either taxi, airport bus or a minivans going to Phuket Town or Patong. Since I will be staying in Patong, minivan is the best option since it will go directly to Phuket then Patong. Airport buses only stop in Phuket town and one needs to transfer to another bus going to Patong. Minivans fare is 150Baht (Php200.00), and these vans will also drop you exactly to your hotel. If you’re traveling in a group of 3 or 4 with luggage, a taxi is also a good option, around 400-500Baht.
Day 1 Arrival
I stayed in The Oddy Hip Hotel, single room with private bathroom. I booked it thru Agoda.com for only Php500.00 per night. The room was big, with a queen size bed. It’s a bit walk from the center of Patong and beach but its manageable.
I just take a short nap after check in then went outside for dinner. A lot of restaurants are available – seafood menu, western cuisine, fastfood and of course their local menu.
Day 2 Island Hopping
Tour operators are plenty as you walk along the center of Patong. I joined a group island hopping tour the next day to Phi Phi island and Maya Bay – to see the shooting location of Leonardo di Caprio’s “The Beach”. Most of the island hopping tour includes the hotel pick up. The island hopping tour cost around Php2500.00 including pick up drop off and lunch
“The Beach” – powdery white sand beach. However i find it small for the number of tourist visiting the island. Boats are anchored along the shore that makes it difficult to enjoy the water and take a good shot.
Buffet lunch is served in Phi Phi Island
Another stop is Khai Island – barbeque stands, food stalls for snack are available, and of course beer!
Unfortunately, the good weather is not on our side on the day of the island hopping 😞.
After the dropped off in the hotel, took some rest and explored the night life of Bangla Road. It was bright, colorful, loud and party music left and right. You can hop around on different bars.
Day 2 Patong Beach
The following day I just enjoy a day in Patong Beach and had a relaxing massage saving energy for Cambodia and Vietnam.
Summary of expenses
Bangkok to Phuket via AirAsia (Php 1600.00)
Airport to Patong (Php 200.00)
Accomodation 3nights (Php 1500.00)
Island Hopping Tour (Php 2500.00)
Food and Drinks (Php 1500.00)
Taxi to Airport, 4am (Php 500.00)
Again, you can save more if you choose to stay in dorm type hostel – a thousand peso savings perhaps. And if you’re not drinking much beer maybe additional Php 500.00 will be saved and Php 300.00 off to your tranfer to airport using van if time permits.
Phuket can also be reach from Bangkok by bus in a 13-14hr trip. It will only cost around Php800.00
Php 5200.00 for 3nights in Phuket
Next stop – Siem Reap