First time traveling in Indochina? Here are some of my travel tips you can considering while planning your trip
- Major touristic city to visit are Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Phuket
- Chiang Mai and Phuket are accessible via land travels from Bangkok, overnight buses are available. Domestic flights are also available (search flight in Skyscanner)
- Dont miss to visit these places in Bangkok – Royal Grand Palace, Wat Pho, Wat Traimit, Wat Arun
- Accommodatiom varies from hostels for backpackers to 5 star hotel. Prices range from php500-1500 per night for 3 star hotel. You can grab best deal in booking.com
- You can go around Bangkok using MRT or Grab Taxis. Most of the time, tuktuk are overpriced for tourist.
- Do not worry where to exchange your cash, money changer can easily be found esp in Phuket. I found that SuperRich has the best rates. Check it here.
- Stay connected, get your super affordable 4G Sim Card or 4G Pocket Wifi in Klook.
- Quick beach escapade from Bangkok, go to Koh Larn in Pattaya.
- If you like to see elephants, book your tour in Elephant Jungle Sanctuary in Klook, choose ethical sanctuary.
- For Chiang Mai, places to see are outside the city and sometime public transport is difficult – better to book group tours online (travel hub) or thru your hostels. If you feel more adventurous, explore by motorbike. Dont forget you license and insurance
- Island hopping in Phuket, tour operators are plenty in the street of Patong – sometime if you’re lucky, you can haggle for their rates. Price range 2000-3500php
- if you start from either Thailand or Vietnam, Siem Reap is accessible by land travel.
- Use overnight bus- most are reclined seat and some are totally flat for more comfortable sleep.
- US Dollar is widely acceptable
- Visit Pub Street – beers are super cheap.
- If you are solo traveler, Angkor wat tour with guides and transport will cost around php2000-2500 (airconditioned car) so if you can find other solo traveler you can split the cost.
- You can go around Siem Reap using tuk tuk, 1usd is the usual charge for tourist to nearby place like Pub Street
- Accommodations are cheap – a good double/twin room will only cost php800 to 1000, or even cheaper. Solo traveler can take cheaper dorm type hostel
- Having a guide in temple tour is recommended for you to better explore the complex
- Beware of buying silver accessories – we got scammed, silver are just coatings.
- 2days is enough to visit Angkor Wat. Check my iitinerary here
- You can make a stop over in Phnom Penh if you are traveling to/from Saigon
- 3 days in Saigon or Ho Chi Minh is enough to visit its major tourist spot
- Center of Saigon (District 1) is easily accessible by bus or taxi. Take bus 152 going to ben thanh market, will cost around 1usd. Taxi to D1 should not be more than 10usd
- You can do a walking tour in District 1 to visit their famous landmarks – Notre Dame Cathedral, Post Office, City Hall
- Visit War Remnant Museum for about a dollar.
- For shopping North Face bags and other branded overruns head to Saigon Square
- Take a stroll in Ben Thanh night market to try Vietnamese cuisine and street food.
- You can do halfday or full day trip to Cu Chi Tunnel. Join Group tours are available in several tour operators along Pham Ngu Lao. 15-20usd per person for group tours